King Salman Bin Abdulaziz Al Saud
King Salman was born on 31 December 1935, and he is the 25th son of King AbdulAziz Al-Saud.
The Custodian of The Two Holy Mosques, King Salman Bin AbdulAziz Al-Saud was raised with his brothers in the Royal Palace where he accompanied his father in the official meetings with the Kings, and Rulers of the World.
King Salman received his early education in the Princes’ School in the capital city of Riyadh, a school established by Ibn Saud specifically to provide education for his children. He studied Religion, and Modern Science.
King Salman Bin AbdulAziz showed interest in science from an early age and later, he received number of honorary academic certificates, and awards including:
- Honorary Doctorate, from the Islamic University in Medina
- Honorary Doctorate in Literature from of Umm Al Qura University in Makkah
- Honorary Doctorate from Milia Islamia University in Delhi in recognition of his humanitarian, and charitable commitment to support education may God protect him
- Honorary Doctorate in Law from Waseda University in Japan, in recognition of his outstanding contributions in the Kingdom, and in the World
- “Kent” Medal for Sciences, and Humanities, from Berlin-Brandenburg Academy in recognition of his contributions to Science
Governor of Riyadh:
King Salman was appointed governor of Riyadh Province on 18-April-1955.
His Royal Highness contributed to the development of Riyadh from a mid-sized town into a major urban metropolis. He served as an important liaison to attract tourism, capital projects, and foreign investment in his country.
On November 2011, King Salman was appointed Minister of Defence Which includes Land, Air, and Naval Forces, and Air Defense.
In his time, the Ministry of Defence witnessed an inclusive development in the whole sectors of the Ministry in training and arming, he also successfully supervised the largest military exercise in the history of the Saudi Armed Forces (Saif Abdullah).
Other Positions and Contributions:
- Chairman of the High Commission for the Development of Riyadh
- Chairman of the High Commission for the Development of Ad-Diriyah
- Presidency of the Council of Trustees of King Fahad National Library
- Chairman of the King AbdulAziz Foundation
- Secretary General of the King AbdulAziz Islamic Foundation
- Honorary President of the Prince Salman Social Center
- President of Board of Directors of Riyadh Charitable Foundation for Science, in addition to Prince Sultan University, and Prince Salman Science Oasis
- Honorary President Board of Directors of the Friends Committee of patients in Riyadh
- Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the AbdulAziz Bin Baz Charity
- Honorary President Board of Directors of the AbdulAziz Bin Baz Charity
- Chairman of the Board of Directors of Prince Salman Charitable Housing
- Chairman of the Charitable Society for Orphans in Riyadh
Associations and Organizations led by HRH and was active abroad:
- Chairman of the Committee to donate to the victims of Suez in 1956
- Head of the Main Committee to raise funds for Algeria in 1956
- President of the People’s Committee to help the families of the martyrs of Jordan in 1967
- President of the People’s Committee to help the Palestinian people
- President of the People’s Committee for the Relief of the victims of Pakistan in 1973
- President of the People’s Committee to support the war effort in Egypt in 1973
- President of the People’s Committee to support the war effort in Syria in 1973
- Chairman of the Committee for the Relief of local victims of the floods in Sudan in 1988
- President of the local committee to provide aid, and shelter to Kuwaiti nationals following the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait in 1990
- President of the local committee to receive donations for those affected by floods in Bangladesh in 1991
- President of the High Authority to collect donations for Bosnia and Herzegovina in 1992
- Chairman of the exhibition of the Kingdoms of yesterday and today, and held in a number of Arab and European countries, and the United States, and Canada during the period in 1985/1992
- President of the Supreme Committee in Riyadh, to raise funds for Al-Quds uprising of 2000/1421
The Custodian of The Two Holy Mosques, King Salman has been known for his work, and charitable efforts.
- He is the President of the Assembly of Prince Salman Center for Disability Research
- Honorary President of the Assembly of Prince Fahd Bin Salman for patients with kidney failure
- Honorary President of the Saudi Center for Organ Transplantation and many other associations
Since 1956 King Salman took the presidency of the many humanitarian and service committees, which took over the responsibilities of supporting many of the war stricken regions around the world. King Salman won many Honors, and Medals for his humanitarian efforts in: Bahrain, Bosnia and Herzegovina, France, Morocco, Palestine, Philippine, Senegal, Yemen, and United Nations.
Medals and Honors:
King Salman Holds King AbdulAziz Scarf of the first layer which is considered the highest decoration in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. He also, won many Medals and Honors such as:
- A medal on the occasion of two thousand years after establishing the city of Paris awarded him the medal by President Jacques Chirac in Paris in 1985
- A medal of intellectual efficiency, where he was decorated by the King of Morocco Hassan II in Casablanca in 1989
- Award of Disabled Children Association in Saudi Arabia
- Golden medal of Bosnia, and Herzegovina for his support and his efforts to liberate Bosnia, and Herzegovina
- The Bosnian medal for Islamic bestowal of the first layer for his effort in supporting Islam and Muslims in Bosnia, and Herzegovina
- The United Nations shield to reduce the effects of poverty in the world
- Al-Quds Star medal in appreciation to his extraordinary works, which indicates the sacrifice, and courage in serving the Palestinian people
- Sktona Medal, which is considered the highest decoration in the Republic of the Philippines
- The Greatest, and highest medal in the Republic of Senegal
- Baden Powell Fellowship by His Majesty the King of Sweden Carl XVI Gustaf
- Bahrain award for humanitarian work for the Gulf Cooperation Council
- Award of the International Special Olympics in Middle East, and North Africa, which is considered one of the highest awards for his efforts in serving disabled people and encouraging scientific research in disability field